Wednesday, December 20, 2017

A Wonderful Time of the Year


It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...at my house.  I put up 2 trees, one in the LR and one in the dining area of my kitchen.  This year I bought a new pre-lit tree for the LR.  I had new ornaments bought on clearance last year.  Several of my old favorite ornaments such as the one above were used to decorate the new tree.  The ornament above was bought at SDC in Branson several years ago.  It is supposed to be carved from the wood of an olive tree in Bethlehem.


As I mentioned in my last post, I didn't get out my entire collections of Santas and Snowmen but I did have to have a few for the entertainment center.  This little trio always makes me smile when I unwrap them each year.  


This is one end of my daughter's fireplace mantle.  She borrowed a few of my snowmen to add to her collection.  Her house is beautifully decorated and I hope to get some more photos taken soon.


This tree is in the guest bedroom.  She has a tree in every room.  I helped her make some chocolate dipped pretzels this morning.  They had a bake sale at work to raise money for some new tricycles for the younguns.  She had already made several goodies the night before such as dipped oreos and rice crispy treats.  


This is the tree in her LR.  Neither one of us has all of our gifts wrapped so I didn't try to get a full shot of her tree or mine yet.  

I hope to get the wrapping done by the end of the day.  I need to get a couple more things and I'll be finished with the shopping.  

Monday I went to the doctor for a follow-up visit.  I don't mean to bore you with my health issues, but I write these things more for my sake as this blog is a journal.  So please bear with me.  You'd be surprised what I have looked up here in the last 9 years I've blogged because I'd forgotten things. 

Anyway, the visit went pretty well.   I had to have another EKG because she thought my heart rate was much too fast for me and I wasn't the least bit nervous.  

Actually, I might have been smiling because the nurse told me I sure didn't look my age and that is always good to hear!  Plus I've lost more weight since giving up sugar and white bread.  Excuse me while I brag on myself, but do you know how hard it was to give up my beloved sweet iced tea and Pepsi?  And sandwiches?  I love my bread!  Shh, don't tell the doctor but I still indulge in a roll now and then.

The EKG came back fine and I'm still awaiting to hear from the lab work.  She thought my thyroid needed to be checked.  My cough is much improved which is such a relief.  It's surprising how much that can wear one out.  She put me on a probiotic as the flora in my system is a bit out of whack.  Unless something else turns up, I don't have to go back until February for my diabetes follow-up visit. 


BG gets Christmas cards from the DAV and I loved the ones they sent this year.  I've only sent out a few Christmas cards to those friends and relatives far away.  Most people seem to have given up on mailing cards these days.  That's one tradition that I miss and that I think FB and email has ruined for us.  Well, maybe the price of postage has a little to do with it too.  :)  

We have less than a week left to get everything done.  Are you ready?  I love Christmas and the reason we celebrate this special holiday.  It's a most wonderful time of the year!

Happy Wednesday to you!
xo Cheryl

14 comments:

  1. i am so happy for you on the giving up sugar and white flour, doing that has changed my life completely... it was and is hard but the longer i go the easier it is. 11 months and counting. your daughters trees are wonderful.. i know she is enjoying decorating her new home this year. glad you are feeling better. i do the same thinig, look up things in my blog. i just looked up last week how long since we bought my KIA and was shocked it was 3 years in November. i love being able to look back and see when i bought something or did something

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too use my blog as a memory jog. Handy gadgets aren't they?
    Congrats on the good dietary moves. They can only help and hope all your results continue to be great.
    I haven't had a tree in years because of various cats so I had forgotten the sweet feeling of unwrapping a favorite ornament.
    Have a wonderful Christmas and a happy and healthy 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A tree in every room must be a tremendous amount of work! The decorations are all gorgeous! I think the mantle is my favorite. How on earth have you given up flour and sugar? We both need to do this, but are unable. Is this the reason why you have lost so much weight? You are amazing! Great news about your doctor info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So thankful that your cough is better and good news that you won't have to return to the dr. til Feb. Good for you on the weight loss. These decorations are so sweet and the trees are gorgeous. I wish you a Merry Christmas and many blessings in the new year. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad to hear you are finally ready for christmas. the ornaments and trees are lovely. it's good to use the blog as a journal. merry christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hoping you continue to improve, Cheryl! Good news AND kudos to you on the weight loss... especially this time of year! Ha! All these decorations are so pretty and I LOVE that card! Fits right in with your snowman-love, too! Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow---gorgeous decorations, both you and your daughter. I still only have one tree (other than some tiny ones around in various places)....

    Glad your heart test came out fine....My Blood Pressure always goes UP when I go to the doctor.. SO --I take mine every morning now and keep a record to show my doctor. Something about going to the doctor makes me anxious for sure!!!!

    Congrats on the weight loss. We need to brag on ourselves for things like this... People who don't have weight problems don't understand how hard it is to lose....

    My blog is my journal also ---so like you, I have to refer back to things I've written at times!!!!!!

    Merry Christmas to you and the family.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love the darling snowmen and your daughter's trees are so lovely. I'm glad to hear that you DR visit went well and congrats on losing the weight! I so agree with you about the cards...it has been years since I have sent any out and we still receive a few from friends and family members. It makes me feel somewhat guilty that I have stopped sending them and someday would like to start it up again. Actually writing them out and putting them in the mail is so deliberate! I do hope that you and your family have a most blessed Christmas and a happy & healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cheryl~

    The trees are gorgeous, and your Nativity ornament is so pretty! Your snowman collection is cute, don't you just love those pudgy little guys?! I have whittled min down over the years, but still love to display a few of my favorites, and I leave them up until February.

    I'm so glad you are feeling better, and that your EKG came back good. Getting older is not for sissies!! Kudos to you on your weight loss, giving up sugar is so hard, and bread...oh my, you are good!

    I love receiving cards, I usually send cards out after Christmas, I know, it's strange, but sometimes you have such a let down after the holidays and it's nice to get something in the mail.

    Merry Christmas sweet friend!! I hope your Christmas is just filled with love and all the wonderful, cozy moments you deserve!!

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like you post good blog,Thanks for your sharing.

    ดูหนังใหม่

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love everything about your blog today. All the trees in your home and your daughters are lovely. I love snowmen too. It is amazing how many of our decorations have precious memories attached to them.
    I am happy you are doing well. You are amazing if you have given up sugar and white bread; that is a weakness of mine too.
    Stay well, keep warm, enjoy the moments of Christmas preparations and have a sweet Christmas celebration with your family. Sending loving Christmas thoughts your way! Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Merry Christmas! Congrats, also, for giving up sugar and bread. It's on my New Year's list...I have to do it..my body just doesn't tolerate sugar very well anymore. Have a wonderful holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am late getting here but wanted you to know that I treasure your blogging friendship. My blog is kind of a journal, too. I am glad your health is improving and that your heart is okay. You are so right- coughing really takes a terrible toll on a person.

    Love and Christmas blessings- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy after Christmas to you, Cheryl. I have spent some time catching up on blog posts and have enjoyed the photos in your recent ones. I have been absent from blog commenting due to recent travels, but hope to return by next week.

    We were "on the road" for 3 weeks from after Thanksgiving till the week before Christmas. It wasn't exactly a vacation, but more of an extended road trip that included checking the VA house and getting some minor repairs completed, then learning the closing date would not happen aa expected (extension requested). We did see friends in DC and attended the USAF band holiday concert. We also went to our granddaughter's 1st birthday party in PA.

    I hope that your holidays were joyous and that the coming new year holds wonderful surprises in store (all good).

    ReplyDelete